We’ve had some crazy Michigan weather this year. The weather has gone from beyond chilly with a ton of snow and wind overnight. As most of you know with odd weather comes many natural disasters. One such disaster recently struck too close for comfort.
Our friends have a fireplace they utilize silence frequently. When it was bitter cold they determined that it was a fantastic idea to utilize the chimney. That sounds pretty benign? The thing is following the fire ash was left. Our neighbor cleaned out the fireplace and put the ashes into a metal bucket that he then placed on the timber deck. Since the weather was pretty windy and dry the timber was in a ripe state to utilize the heat from the metal bucket to create a smoldering fire. This fire smoldered for hours eventually catching the floor joist on fire. From the time they had returned from work hours later the home was engulfed in smoke and the smoldering fire had caused major damage to their flooring in the living room area that is off of the porch.
Added in addition to the harm that was already created by the fire was the harm done to be able to eliminate the smoldering hot flame under the home. After the firefighters additional the water that the house literally disappeared into a cloud of smoke. Their first instinct was to run in and immediately start putting their lives back in order. Of course, this is not necessarily the very first action homeowners should take when they find themselves in a situation involving fire and smoke damage. Below are a few strategies to think about before rushing in to clean your house after a fire.
- Contact your insurance provider. Your representative will be able to recommend an expert fire and smoke damage restorer. Often they will assist with tips to prevent further damage.
- Once you’ve decided it’s safe to enter into your home through and determine, together with the professional fire restorer, go through the home and determine what things can and can’t be refurbished.
- Get the air circulating throughout your house. Open all windows, doors and have fans operating at all times. If you’re in the warmth of summer it’ll be best to have the air conditioner operating along with a dehumidifier. If smoke and fire harm happen to your house in the winter, operate the furnace which will get rid of the moisture. Keep fans going and be certain that you change the filters every day to prevent soot build up.
- Dry everything completely. Especially carpets, bedding, and furniture. This will help prevent mold and mildew.
- Place cling wrap beneath the legs on all furniture involved with the flame. It’s also important when dealing with items not directly involved in the fire that remain clean to cover them with plastic to prevent damage.
- Hire a professional to come in and deodorize the home. It’s likewise important that thick drapery be sent out to be washed. Soot is oily and stinky. You truly can’t get certain larger things fresh all on your own. Click here to learn more.
- Take your time in repairing your property. A comprehensive project is always better than you have done in haste.
For skilled fire & smoke damage restoration, phone PuroClean!
By the time the first call is received before the mitigation is finished, an expert restoration business is vital in tackling the claim and managing costs. For professional fire damage restoration Port St Lucie services, contact your regional PuroClean office. Our technicians are compassionate, highly-trained, and certified to return your property to its pre-loss condition. Visit them for more information.